There is evidence that breast feeding has several health advantages ,it reduces child mortality and its advantages go up to adult life.
The recommended protocol is exclusive breast feeding for first six months of a babys life , followed by continued breastfeeding with appropriate complementary foods for up to two years or beyond.
For first six months ONLY BREAST MILK needs to be given called EXCLUSIVE BREAST FEEDING
Our recommendations to increase exclusive breast feeding:
- Initiate breast feed as soon as the baby is born that is within the first hour of life.
- Exclusive breastfeeding means that for first 6 months (180 days) the infant only receives breast milk without any additional food or drink, not even water.
- Continuously that is day and night breastfeed the child whenever there is demand.
- Don’t put the habit of bottles, teats or pacifiers.
- Nutritionally adequate and safe complementary feeding starting from the age of 6 months with continued breastfeeding up to 2 years of age or beyond.
Breast milk is natural and it provides all the energy ,nutrients,immunity that the infant needs for the first months of life, and it continues to provide up to half or more of a child’s nutritional needs during the second half of the first year, and up to one-third during the second year of life.
Exclusive breastfeeding means that an infant receives only breast milk from his or her mother , or expressed breast milk, and no other liquids or solids, not even water, with the exception of oral rehydration solution, drops or syrups consisting of vitamins, minerals supplements or medicines.