BREAST FEEDING : THE BEST FEEDING YOUR CHILD CAN GET
The advantages of breast milk are for the mother as well as child :
Advantages for the mother
- Sucking by the baby causes the mothers uterus to contract and reduces the flow of blood after delivery thus reducing chances of post partum hemorrhage.
- Lactation if done continuously during day and night leads to cessation of menstruation and causes contraception without medicines.
- Helps in weight loss.
- decreases the incidence of breast cancer in mothers
- Breastfeeding is priceless no cost involved.
- Less trips to the doctor and less money is spent on medications
- Good way of mother-baby bonding
Reduces chjances of post partum depression and create feelings of warmth and calm in the mother
Breasts secrete colostrum , ayellowish fluid rich in proteins for the initial 2-4 days of your baby’s life, .These are very good for a good immune system
- The protein is easily digested and absorbed by the body, especially by the rapidly developing brain.
- Colostrum provides factors that promote maturation of the gut and good digestion.
- Colostrum is the most superior and well-designed nutrition for your baby in the first few days of life.
Advantages of breastfeeding for the baby
- Superior nutrition
- There is an increased resistance to infections, and therefore fewer incidents of illness and hospitalisation
- Decreased risk of allergies and lactose intolerance
- Breast milk is sterile
- Baby experiences less nappy rash and thrush
- Baby is less likely to develop allergies
- Baby experiences fewer stomach upsets and constipation
- Breastfed infants tend to have fewer cavities
- Breastfeeding promotes the proper development of baby’s jaw and teeth.
- Breastfed infants tend to have higher IQs due to good brain development early in life
- Babies benefit emotionally, because they are held more
- Breastfeeding promotes mother-baby bonding
- In the long term, breastfed babies have a decreased risk of malnutrition, obesity and heart disease compared to formula fed babies.